Go to the U of M home page

Pages

Friday, September 2, 2011

Books & Media Move to the Clouds; Apple, Amazon, and Walmart Fight for Market Share

Things are getting interesting with cloud-based information access and commerce. In the past month Amazon, Apple, Walmart, and others have announced plans to migrate information access or sales of media (ebooks, music, programming) to the cloud. Apple's policies have created opportunities and antagonisms in the industry as reflected by Amazon and Walmart's latest moves. I covered this for Information Today's NewsBreaks a few weeks ago - and more and more announcements are following. Just today in the New York Times, Netflix has just initiated a two-year project to "move most of its Web technology -- customer movie queues, search tools and the like" to an Amazon-powered infrastructure. With Steve Jobs leaving Apple it will be interesting to see the impact of all of these developments on the marketing giant. Your thoughts?



13 comments:

  1. Good article - I like the Netflix option. I use them for streaming video of all the shows, I'd be happy to have one source for everything - and good prices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I am happy to see people is starting to forget their fear about cloud computing and accepting to move data to the cloud. It will be better for everyone

    ReplyDelete
  3. With Amazon coming out with a tablet, I'm ready to buy! I still like paperbacks but for a lot of what I need, I'm happy to get it like Netflix or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have posted some very good stuff on the subject, are you preparing to do a FAQ facing this issue in the future, as i have some more questions that may well be common to other readers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, what will happen now that Amazon is in the lead with their new Fire? I think it's hot, but I'm not sure it will be able to replace my iPad yet. I think Apple needs to watch its flank!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about You guys stay on the subject please. You’re makin me dizzy tryin to follow this comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. loving the information on this web site , you have done outstanding job on the articles .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just figured out that my computer has this kind of trojan. I was running pretty much all of the Anti-virus things my computer has. The main one says there is nothing there and my Windows defender says I have two trojans so I'm not sure what to do. I'm thinking of buying or building a new one. . Right now I have intel. Im not sure which is best like Dell, Miscrosoft, etc. I need a gaming computer which can also be used as a school work computer. Any ideas?.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rattling nice style and design and wonderful written content, practically nothing else we require :D.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi ,Quite possibly to express appreciate your this interesting thread about Day 6 |! Regards, Geburtstag

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I'll definitely return.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's definately a lot to learn about this topic. I love all the points you have made.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty! This has been a really wonderful post. Thank you for supplying this info.

    ReplyDelete