Go to the U of M home page

Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

EBOOKS EVERYWHERE: The Digital Transformation of Reading

Ebooks are everywhere today - millions of them, actually - and so many of them are free. Think of all of the government documents, research reports, free PubMed and other sources for articles. Then think of all of the online reference books and materials you can get in libraries. And let's not forget the wonderful efforts of Project Gutenberg and the Internet Archive. And, then, of course, there is Google - can't forget their role in all of this. Through Google Books, we have the ability to search through the fulltext of hundreds of thousands (or more) books and find just the information that you need. No more having to rely on indexes or leafing through the pages of books hoping to find some little bit of information that seems elusive. Not any more!

As Harvard's Dean of Libraries, Robert Darnton notes: "Through technological wizardry and sheer audacity, Google has shown how we can transform the intellectual riches of our libraries, books lying inert and underused on shelves."

He also suggests that we need to find a way to make these truly and forever a public good: "But only a digital public library will provide readers with what they require to face the challenges of the 21st century - a vast collection of resources that can be tapped, free of charge, by anyone, anywhere, at any time."

Whether you are a Kindle fan, a Nook user or even if you prefer your existing PDA or PC, ebooks are a major step forward. Making these available to all the people for all time is the obligation that libraries have taken on. Check out what your library is doing to support and provide these key resources - you might be surprised.

For example, here at the University of Minnesota, a team led by Jim Stemper came up with a wonderful way to link vital information on our ebook collections for our users. The complexity is a bit mind-boggling - but that's another story.

For a look at where libraries are with ebooks today, check out a recent article I wrote for the July/August 2011 issue of SEARCHER magazine titled "Ebooks Everywhere."

Are you aware of all of the digital reading that you do each day? The printed page won't be going away anytime soon, but for information and quick access to facts and information, the ebook can't be beat!


41 comments:

  1. What about the move by Amazon into cloud based ebooks? Walmart is doing it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog, you should add an RSS feed feature so I can get automatic notifications of new blogs. If you set one up please email me! i will bookmark you for now. Again Excellent Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting that Amazon is saying that ebooks are now selling faster than traditional books. I don't think paper books will die out anytime soon, but the way Amazon is developing nad promoting the Kindle, it's clear how they see the ebook market progressing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to always read the articles in this site was my favorite

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can definitely see your expertise in the paintings you write. The sector hopes for more passionate writers like you who aren't afraid to say how they believe. All the time go after your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to always read the articles in this site was my favorite

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this blog. It is a work of art as in good and also healing!Grateful I discovered your Page through performing a search on Msn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Going to your website certainly made me to discover some things todays morning. Thanks a lot a lot for giving out this data.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After started to go through beginning of article i didn't expect it may be useful facts for me but at this point I am seriously greatful that I located this webpage to browse. Cheers to the publisher.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just not onlly one of your reports I've read, and you never end to impress me. Warm regards, and I await browsing more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It really is a terrific set of information you discussed in this article, I seriously feel we can be expecting much more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Motion is a fantastic restorer and builder of self confidence. Inaction is not only the result, but the lead to, of dread. Perhaps the motion you take will be profitable possibly diverse action or changes will have to comply with. But any motion is much better than no motion at all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello.This post was really interesting, particularly because I was investigating for thoughts on this matter last Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I simply want to say I am new to blogging and site-building and honestly savored your blog site. Most likely I’m want to bookmark your website . You certainly have amazing writings. Regards for revealing your blog site.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am continually looking online for ideas that can help me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for every other amazing article. Wherever else might any individual have that kind of details in these a perfect manner of creating? I own a demonstration future week, that i'm about the seek out these kinds of info.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Useful details. Fortuitous everyone I ran across your web site inadvertently, and i'm shocked exactly why this particular twist of fate don't took place beforehand! My spouse and i bookmarked them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been surfing online more than 3 hours today, but I never discovered any attention-grabbing article like yours. It¡¦s pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all web owners and bloggers made good content material as you did, the internet can be much more useful than ever before.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do accept as true with all of the ideas you have offered for your post. They are very convincing and can certainly work. Still, the posts are too brief for novices. Could you please prolong them a little from next time? Thank you for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Simply desire to say your article is as astounding. Thanks a million and please continue the gratifying work.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, superb blog layout! The whole look of your website is wonderful, as neatly as the content material!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is the perfect blog for anyone who wants to know about this topic. You know so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I really would want...HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a subject that's been written about for years. Great stuff, just great!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This kind is among most significant web pages I've really ever before visitied.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would like to thnkx for the efforts you've put in writing this website.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great tremendous things here.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't know what I would've done if I had not discovered this. I

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good article and right to the point.Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Keep functioning, remarkable job!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awsome blog! Will be back later to read some more.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Excellent read.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello There. This is a really well written article. Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly return.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi there, You have done an incredible job.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for your time very much for this reliable and results-oriented help.

    ReplyDelete
  35. A good site with interesting content, this is what I need. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Very informative. I'm confident, you have a great readers' base already!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Good web site! The data are well written.

    ReplyDelete
  38. A good site with interesting content, this is what I need. Thank you for keeping this web site, I'll be visiting it.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Pretty enlightening and essential stuff. I agree with you on this question.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Pretty helpful and applicable things. I am in agreement with you on this question.

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is certainly rather real factor as elevated included in the internet site.

    ReplyDelete