Go to the U of M home page

Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

All the News That's Fit to Post. Or Is It? Quality Information and the Social Web

Earlier this month while on her bus tour of the east, Sarah Palin managed to nearly rewrite the history of Paul Revere's famous ride. Regardless of your opinions on Palin, the interesting part of the story starts after the initial news coverage when people attempted to rewrite Wikipedia entries related to that midnight ride with revisions that would support the Palin interpretation. In his New York Times blog, Noam Cohen describes the subsequent activities on the Wikipedia site. Amazing!

Although my article in the current issue of SEARCHER predates this by over six months, the article looks at how the culture of 'instant news' sometimes cuts corners of fact-checking that can affect not only credibility but the course of events. The HTML version of the article is available freely at the SEARCHER site. Give it a look.

What do you think about the state of news today? Is quality, reliable information easier to find today - or is the unfiltered nature of the web making it more difficult?

4 comments:

  1. It's a lot easier to find good information on every subject. But too many fools is around who don't know or don't want to know where and how to look and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is like 1984 or Fahrenheit 451. It's scary to see how no one cares to look for facts or truth today.
    Thanks for the post. I hope to find the article at the library.
    Amber P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote a paper on the trial of Chai Vang and you helped me with it. The hate in the community and in the media were scary. I wanted to thank you for help on my paper. I asked you for the new documentary on Vang and I just saw that it is in the library web. thank you. When it comes out to the library I want to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly, that summary of the evidence reminds me that the resolution in Twelve Angry Men hinged on the SPOILER ALERT*, fact that the defendants distinctive knife was not so unique after all. Even though its fiction, I have to think that the expectation of beyond a reasonable doubt depicted in the movie is closer to the reality wed prefer than the criteria used in this case.

    ReplyDelete